Nowadays more and more organizations migrate to cloud, log analytics, log analysis and lean on log management tools and services for the betterment of IT infrastructure uptime.
Every application has a native interface to record the logs but does not provide a flexible approach to managing them and to look into each application log for specific issues is next to impossible. Why manually trace the needle in the haystack when there are powerful tools available in the market that are waiting to take your command and guide you through finding the error.
A sincere attempt to look into the available log management tools that may help us manage huge log data’s and web server logs created by our applications, servers, network protocols, and systems. The list provided here does not hold any hierarchical ranks concerning the performance of any kind. They are randomly picked and summarized here for better understanding that may help you hunt the right tool for your business along with windows system log.
Best Log Mangement Tools Software
1. Splunk – Log Management Software
Splunk delivers excellence in managing log data in the form of Enterprise, Cloud, and Light editions and you may choose that best fit your organization. Each product offering has its unique collection, indexing of log data that helps to correlate and visualize in a dashboard.
- Indexing and correlating of log data to identify relationship at ease.
- Visually appealing Dashboard that easy to configure.
- Software as a Service (SaaS) – you may access the service over the internet.
- Offers solutions to different data formats – metrics, clickstreams, custom applications, hypervisors, social media and cloud services.
2. Motadata – Log Management Solution
Motadata won Rising Star and Great User Experience award for providing unmatched excellence in log management techniques that analyses your machine data to uplift your company from major threats. A leader that meets your company’s PCI, DSS, FISMA and HIPPA compliance standards. It is a trustworthy tool that has a visually compelling platform for better security.
Some of its powerful features include>
- Accessing more than 100k of log data per second in real-time is proven to be one of the efficiency log management tool in the market
- Dashboards enriched visualization and custom pick of priority monitoring feature offers deep insights for a quicker solution
- Retains large volume of log data based on your requirements
- Powerful elastic search lets you pinpoint the error and solve the issue with ease
- Intelligent pattern detection that is configured using unique rules sends alerts and notification to the corresponding IT team.
- Mapping of key fields for anomaly detection across different data sources is a key feature that every IT team requires.
- Auto rectification feature triggers remedial action for undesirable events.
- Advanced malware detection technique that has proven results across different platforms.
LogPacker is log monitoring tools that comes with two plans for managing your logs one on Cloud platform and other the Enterprise edition on a standalone system. With Enterprise edition offers three options Lite version, Pro version and Unlimited version. Depending on the necessity, you may start either Lite that offers to support 10 servers, Pro version with 100 servers and the unlimited supports 1000 servers. The log size for Cloud platform for Lite version supports 10GB monthly, 100GB for startup and 1TB of log data for Pro versions.
Main features of LogPacker include
- Centralized log management both in Cloud and Enterprise edition
- Clustering of user behavior based on log data
- Clean Visuals in Dashboard
- Aggregated view of logs in live mode
- Support window for your IT team available based on the plan
- Priority support to provide quick solutions
As threat detection becomes the chief reason for storing logs, LogRhytm provides intelligent platforms to manage your big data and offers solutions to serve your needs quickly. This is done without disturbing the existing working environment and log management standard.
It features includes
- Speed and Scalability in processing your log data without performance downtime.
- Powerful Search features offer precision to locate the threats.
- Stores log using Machine Data Intelligence with 785 unique data source types.
- Faster indexing to automate clustering of log data of any scale
- Data retention option for compliance requirements.
- Adding additional node as and when your deployment grows.
- Add-on features to ensure greater security
Logentries is like event log management software that lets you easy interpretation of log data spotting for essential events for analyses and investigation. Logentries comes with four different plans – Starter, Pro, Team and Enterprise edition. Its Regex and Pattern combination is one of the core functionality that help locates the specific problems.
Some of its useful features include
- Visual search and Dashboards
- Advanced analytics LEQL (Logentries Query Language) similar to SQL language
- Anomaly detection, inactivity alerting helps IT team to stay focused
- Webhook integration features that deliver data to other applications as it happens
- Aggregated live tail of data
- S3 Archiving lets your Logentries data retained for a longer period beyond your plans
- RESTful API technology lets you interact with the remote applications seamlessly
Logscape provides analysis of big-data that produces clear dashboards with real-time alerts. Logscape deployed on your IT infrastructure gives web interface functionality with enterprise-ready access controls.
Some of its prominent features include:
- Logscape Manager orchestrates the logging infrastructure in intelligent visuals that helps consolidate the analyzed data and search results efficiently.
- Forwarders, Local Indexers, and Central Indexers are added in centralized log management to accommodate growing volumes of data.
- In-depth analysis of each event at massive scale.
- Filter your search based on one event
- Automatically extract and analyze JSON data
- Integration of 3rd party services – IFTT, Github, Jira, and Slack.
- Custom build data types for incoming data.
Loggly comes with Lite edition for starters that offer primary log search mechanism free of cost for lifetime analyzing 200 MB of log data in a day. The standard version for small business comes with 1GB data per day, Pro for companies with growing applications and services with 3-20GB data per day and an Enterprise edition that accommodates DevOps and other valuable integration along with the Pro features that analysis up to 1TB data in a day.
Some of its common features include
- Centralized Log Management with automated log summaries
- Built-in email alerting
- Graphical and chart display features in Dashboards
- Webook – use with PagerDuty, HipChat, Slack, VictorOps
- Provides S3 archiving
- DevOps integration – GitHub & JIRA
- Live trail of data in visualized form
- Federated Account feature that allows single window authentication credential to access multiple systems in a single organization.
Scalyr integrates your server logs and metrics into centralized log management systems in real-time. It is known for its ultra fast search results that take less than a second while managing up to 1tb of logs.
Some of its features include
- Live tail of log data
- Amazon S3 archiving
- Centralized Log Management – Collects system logs, application logs, custom server metrics, server pings and more in one place.
- Search across all servers in a flash using brute force technique that overcomes unique challenges.
- Rich visualization to identify and go through the logs easily
- Any format of data can be parsed with customization in minutes.
- Drag and drop the log for display analysis and customize your dashboard screen and wall mount them those auto-updates.
- Powerful monitoring and alerting techniques helps to quickly find the issue.
- Webhook features to communicate through PagerDuty, OpsGenie, HipChat, Slack and other supported services.
Fluentd is an open source data collector that unifies the data collection from various sources into a single platform for better use and understanding of the data as log management solutions provider. Fluentd is Apache 2.0 licensed with 500+ plugins makes it compatible with data sources – Application logs like Java, Php, Ruby and more, Network Protocols like Syslog, TCP, UDP and more and others like Twitter, Docker, Kestrel and more.
Some known features include
- Collects data from thousands of machines in real-time.
- Requires limited system resources
- Community that update plugins to interact with different data sources.
Papertrail offers log management services as a log analyzer tool as per the volume of the data to be processed. It supports larger data log like 1500 GB/month and also offers free services up to 100 mb/month of log data that is suitable to see how it fits in your organization and you may consider it as an option to implement it as a usage based service.
Some of the common features found are
- Live trail of log data as it happens.
- Alerts and summaries in team-wide time zone meaning everyone in the team receive notification at the same time. It is so much convenient that Papertrail lets you communicate among distributed teams.
- Context links that help detail out end-to-end history for a particular request log.
- Lets you save your searches without leaving the event viewer – a useful tool that saves time.
- Another important feature lets you identify the frequency of patterns or anomalies and help you solve the eternal query ‘how often does this happen?’
Graylog is another best log management tool. Its free and open-source log management platform which supports in-depth log data and analysis. Graylog is Used in Network Security, IT Ops and DevOps. This software can enrich and parse logs by using comprehensive processing algorithm. You can easily Search from unlimited log data to find what you need. With this software you will get Custom alerts and triggers to monitor any log data.
The list provides you a comprehensive data for choosing the right Log management tool that fits in your business organization. The log monitoring tools gives you the much needed liberty to work on the log files and the ability to read the log data from different sources will not only prove to be useful but smart way to manage your big-data at ease.